The Paediatric Intensive Care Society (PICS) was founded in 1987 as a multidisciplinary forum for those involved and interested in paediatric intensive care, with the following aims:
- To promote training and education, with the aim of stimulating research and promoting collaborative studies.
- To provide a forum for discussion
- To provide specialist advice
- To collect information through the council of the society
- To provide a focus for paediatric intensive care in the UK
Two decades later, PICS, a Registered Charitable Incorporated Organisation (Registration Number 1146515), remains the main professional society representing the UK paediatric intensive care community at a national and international level.