As you may be aware the national review of paediatric critical care and specialised surgery in children is now entering the third phase, engagement. To date NHS England have undertaken work to understand the issues in each of the service areas and developed an interim report to support a case for change. This work has helped them develop a vision for what a future model of care could look like.
The model of care that is emerging is one that makes use of all levels of care so that capacity is not concentrated in one part of the system. It helps ensure that patients are not treated far from their home when this is not necessary, and that they return home, or to a hospital nearer to their home, as soon as possible. They are calling this model of care and collaborative way of working a managed system. For more information on how they think the managed system could operate please read Dr Peter Wilson’s blog.
To gain consensus on the model of care, and gather information around good practice relating to paediatric critical care and specialised surgery in children, they have identified four days in January 2018 where they would like to bring together clinicians in each region. The dates we have identified are:
- 12th January 2018, 10:00 – 13:00 in the Midlands and East
- 15th January, 2018 10:00 – 13:00 in the North
- 18th January, 2018 10:00 – 13:00 in the South
- 19th January, 2018 10:00 – 13:00 in London
They think that the following disciplines should be represented at the meeting (representing both tertiary and acute hospitals):
- Specialist paediatric surgeons and general paediatric surgeons;
- Paediatric anaesthetists and anaesthetists;
- Paediatric radiologists;
- Allied health professionals including: physiotherapists, speech and language therapists, dietitians; and pharmacists;
- Nursing – both registered nurses and advanced nurse practitioners;
- Paediatricians and paediatric intensivists; and
As spaces will be limited they would like to make sure there is even representation across disciplines and providers, they would ask that clinicians from the same provider coordinate amongst themselves to nominate a couple of clinicians per discipline. Clinicians are asked to email the paeds review team at firstname.lastname@example.org by 15th December 2017 to express their interest in attending the workshop for their region.